Chapter 1: What is Marketing?
E-ACTIVITY: MARKETING MIX (p. 26)
Activity: Examine the Marketing Mix
As a product or account manager of a major corporation, you will need
to evaluate and re-evaluate your marketing mix: product, promotion, pricing,
and place. This activity gives you the opportunity to examine the marketing
mix of Coca Cola and Pepsi-Cola which are the two major players in the
soft drink market.
- Visit the following Web sites and compare the marketing mix for two
of the largest producers of soft drinks, Coca
Cola and Pepsi-Cola.
- Complete an organizer, like the one below, for each company.
Name of the Company: ________________________________
Tips for completing the organizer:
- Under product mix examine the number of brands each company
produces. Do these products fill all the needs of the consumer? Is either
company launching any new products? Do you think they be successful?
- The promotion mix of each company will be extensive. Examine
new advertisements, sales promotions, and celebrities used by each.
Which promotion mix do you think is more effective?
- Place mix involves brand identification and distribution worldwide.
- Price mix should include the cost of developing new products,
bottling, and distribution.
- Write a summary paragraph in which you give your opinion on the company
that has the best marketing mix. Include at least three arguments to
support your opinion.